*Style in this article isn't just about clothes and makeup but is instead about you as a whole.
Being your most authentic self. Your "style" is YOU!
It’s not easy to stand up and shout out to the world, “this is who I am, and I love myself!”. We learn when we’re young it’s much easier to blend in. Standing out in school often results in getting bullied and teased. It gets a little easier as we get older, but those early lessons are hard to shake. That's why finding our own style and embracing our individuality is important!
The world needs your individuality, and you NEED to be yourself. Your life is never gonna be completely satisfying if you’re pretending to be someone you aren’t. By embracing your individuality, your special style, the awesome thing that makes you YOU; that's how you truly shine!
So read on for a few tips on how to truly embrace your personal style, and let the world see exactly who the fuck you are:
1. Stop trying to fit in. We all have a built-in defense mechanism to fit in with the crowd. It’s not comfortable to stand out. But standing out is where you’ll find the most success and satisfaction. Most of the famous people you admire were able to overcome the need to be anonymous. They were willing to put themselves out there, not give a shit what other people thought, and send their unique gifts out into the world.
2. Stop worrying about what other people think. People are respected for daring to be unique. Think about the people you know that are willing to be themselves regardless of the circumstances. Their level of comfort is attractive to others. We love people with this ability and want to be more like them. Understand that people will be jealous of you if you can be comfortable being yourself, and then decide you don’t care. There’s a lot to be gained socially by presenting yourself honestly. What other people think of you isn’t your problem, it’s theirs. Let them hate while you live a happy, fulfilling life.
3. Identify what’s unique about you. What can you do better than most people? What are your natural gifts and talents? What is unique about you? What can you bring to the world that’s in short supply? What is your greatest value to the world? How are you different from others? We all have amazing things about us, share yours!
4. Be brave, but don't make yourself too uncomfortable. Let's say your talent is painting, but you’re afraid of showing anyone your work. What can you do to start exposing yourself to the world slowly and comfortably? Maybe you can start with your friends, online communities, or family. You might wanna post your art anonymously online. Small steps are still steps!
5. Give your opinions freely. One way to show your individuality is to just share your opinions when appropriate. Don’t be mean, but don’t be afraid to speak your mind.
6. Focus on the positive. When you start to see results from taking that first step, focus on the positive. Enjoy the compliments. Notice how criticism doesn’t really mean a thing. The better you feel, the more comfortable you’ll be when it's time to take a bigger step.
7. Find like-minded people. There are people out there trying to do the same thing you are. Keeping with the artist theme, you could find other artists to spend time with. You can support each other. You can learn from each other. Find your community, I promise your people are out there and they are just as weird as you are!
8. Continue to grow. Keep moving forward. The key to massive success is to keep yourself just slightly uncomfortable and get used to that feeling. You don’t have to go fast to end up someplace great. You simply need to keep moving. Remember, the steps you take don't have to be big, they just have to be in the right direction.
We admire those that are willing to be themselves. In a world of seemingly average people, those brave enough to not care what others think, and present themselves honestly to the world are valued and respected. You can be one of those people. Take a deep breath, stop giving a shit what other people think of you, and reveal your true self! Be willing to put yourself out there in a bigger and better way.
Find your style. Share your talents and your weirdness. Let your individuality shine.
The world needs you to be your most authentic YOU.